Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Weigh in- taking control

So I've been talking about getting serious about loosing all the baby weight ever since Katelyn was born--and guess what, she's turning one in a month! No more excuses. That is why I have decided to post weekly weigh ins on the blog so that I have a bit of accountability. I am setting a goal of 20 pounds because I don't want to set a huge goal and get discouraged at how long it is taking and quit. So after 20 pounds I'll hopefully set another goal of 10 pounds to reach my "ideal" weight. Obviously I know I won't reach what I was in college, but I've had two kids and accept that.

The Plan:
I am doing a "lifestyle" change rather than a diet b/c lets face it, diets suck! I read up on what is called the Volumetrics plan which calculates "energy density" or concentration of calories in each portion of food, so that a person fills up on fewer calories. Ex. A bowl of soup is much better than a handful of Wheat Thins and it fills you up for longer. So anyway, I am loosely following that and just simply choosing better food options. And I also plan to throw exercising in. I had been walking two to three miles every other day or more with the kids at the park but a couple weeks ago I sliced my toe open and have had to wait for it to heal. So exercising will, slowly but surely, make its way back into the regimen. But I must say, even though I had been exercising before I wasn't loosing weight which goes to show how important a persons diet is.

Week 1: 3.6 lbs

Total left: 16.4 lbs

Not too bad for the first week. Now I just need to keep going, and yes I realize that the first week will probably be higher than most of the weeks so I am going to be happy as long as the numbers keep going down. Wish me luck.

7 comments:

Vivian said...

Way to go Kyra! You can do it!

Jennifer said...

Yeah for you!!!! Good luck!

Geneve said...

Good job! That's a lot for the first week. And it's totally true that diet makes a huge difference. I don't really get it - I'd think exercise would do something! :) But it's sad too - I don't want to give up my unhealthy food! :) Keep it up - maybe I'll get inspired and try it myself.

Mike and Christina Jenson said...

I'm cheering for you! I am at the point where I can't wait to work off the 40+ pounds I am carrying around with this baby, but I also know that it will take awhile so you'll be a good inspiration. Congrats on your first week!

Michelle said...

Go Kyra Go! It seriously is harder to eat healthy and live actively, especially with toddlers, but I know it is completely worth it in the end! Good luck!

Ulrich's said...

Good job! Losing weight is so hard, but it does make you feel so much better. I've decided the best diet ever is Weight Watchers, just because you eat whatever you want but just have to be accountable for what you decide to eat. I've tried pretty much every diet and every diet works if you stick to it. Accountability is totally my main motivator!

Alissa said...

Good for you! It is so much easier for me to exercise than it is for me to watch what I eat. I need to be better! Way to go!